Monday, July 15, 2013

McDonald's 60 Second Guarantee???

Recently I popped into McDonald's for a quick lunch. When I pulled up to the drive-up window to pay, the clerk handed me a 60 second sand timer.  She told me they offered a 60 second guarantee that from the time you pay to the time you pick up your food would be less than 60 seconds, or your meal is free.

I though, wow, that is a neat twist on customer service where you get actively involved in the process, plus showing you how efficient they are at moving traffic.  After I paid I sat there watching the sand slowly go through the glass.  Part of me hoping the sand would run out so I would get a free meal, while a part of me rooting for them to beat the clock.

As I sat there watching the sand slowly seep through the tiny hole in the two sides of the glass I noticed the person in front of me appearing to be doing the same.  McDonald's had gotten everyone's interest in this simple little tool that involved the customer, just like social media.

Time continued to move forward and I noticed cars were only slowly moving forward.  There appeared to be no hope they would meet the 60 second deadline.  There was still one car in front of me when suddenly the sand ran out.  Their 60 seconds was up.  I felt bad for the team as they worked so hard to make the time, but maybe it was just an unreasonable time to meet.  Maybe they really never had a chance to meet it, especially at 12:00.  Should they have used a 90 second, or even 2 minute timer.   I would still be happy to have my food in 90 seconds and be excited they actually beat the time, for real.

At last, I pulled up to the window to have the lady hand me my food.  I know they tried hard to meet this deadline, but just could not.  Should I ask for my free meal since they did not deliver?  How many other people asked for their free meal.

As I handed my timer to the lady, I quickly turned it over so it showed there was still plenty of time left, and said with a smile, you beat the clock, good job and drove off with my happy meal.

Don't forget, the Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center (Roanoke SBDC) is here to help with our free no-cost business counseling services for small businesses and entrepreneurs.  For more info on what we can provide, go to www.RoanokeSmallBusiness.org

No comments:

Post a Comment