Thursday, July 18, 2013

Make Your Store Visually Unique and FUN FUN FUN!

Several months ago I was in Las Vegas and with the wife went shopping at the Forum Shops at Caesar's.  Anyone knows me, I am far from being a shopper, especially at malls.  However, I am always intrigued by the way stores market their products, and Las Vegas is known for going over the top as to marketing.

One store really caught my eye, as it is so cool I am not sure how anyone could walk by the store and not stop in.  I know my wife was more than happy to let me look around and take some pictures while she found something to buy.

The store is H&M, which to me meant nothing as I have never heard of this store, but found out later they are all over the country.

The store had very unique and interesting displays.  There was a large screen video playing along with music that fit the mood.  It was just a cool and fun place to shop; something I thought I would never say about a mall store, heck I even bought a shirt.  A lot of thought, and money went into the design of this store, and I am sure the sales are strong because of it.  If you go to Google Images and type in H&M Las Vegas you can see a bunch more photos.

As a small business, being able to afford the type of design and displays as this store is going to be way out of the budget.  But as a small business owner and entrepreneur, what can you do to make your business fun to shop at, and visually exciting?  

Can you add interesting displays, TVs, music, photos, games, interactive products, fish tanks, etc. to make the visit to your store memorable.  Maybe it is just offering a play area for children while mom shops.  How about offering free beverages (Grand Piano and their free Cokes), or even popcorn for the kids, dog biscuits for the pets, a social gathering for a club, the list is endless............

Ever small business can do something to improve the look and feel of their business appearance, both inside and outside, and thus make it more enjoyable to shop, meaning customers look forward to stopping at your store.

I can think of many stores I shop where the store looks the same as it did 20 years ago, most likely they hadn't even painted in 20 years.  Heck, if you can't think of anything else to do, just paint your place a different color and move some stuff around.

When I had retail stores we would move inventory around when it wasn't selling.  When the inventory was moved, it was noticed as something new and a frame that hadn't sold in months would sell in days because it got noticed.

Step back from your store and look at it as if a new customer to your business (or asks your customers what would be cool).  What is the look and feel of your store?  Is it a welcoming, fun, cool place to shop?  If not, how can I make it so?  To get truly devoted customers you need to have exceptional customers service, but you also have to make your place a unique, and exciting place to shop.

If you would like assistance with improving your coolness, give the Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center a call.  We are a non-profit business counseling service that offers no-cost consulting services to small business and entrepreneurs.  Find out more at www.RoanokeSmallBusiness.org 


No comments:

Post a Comment